Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Venture Magazine October 2011


I recently went to Beijing as a response to an old colleague's request. The trip was long overdue since I've always wanted to go to Beijing ever since the Olympics in 2008. Traveling to places for the first time is always a thrill. The feeling of nervousness and eXcitement is mixed into one emotion.

If there is one nation that has influenced us in our everyday life, that would be the nation of China. From the clothes we wear to the technology we use, all the way to the very food we eat. Whether the origin came from China or not, their influence is undeniable.

Sad to say that my trip was not because I was volunteering at an organization nor having some important business meeting. This was a straight up vacation. I took my time in walking the street s and made mental notes as to where I was going to eat my meals for the day and where I was going to go. My friend took me to see the tourist spots like Forbidden City and other temples, we even made a short trip to see the Great Wall. He took me to see the Chinese acrobats which were fascinating and eerie at the same time.

With the city of Beijing gaining so much popularity among travelers as a destination to visit, the city still has much to offer than just its sights. But the one thing that stood out to me in that trip was actually the time I got lost in the side streets and found all these unique stalls t hat sold vegetables in one and beer in the other and another that served skewered barbecued pork.

It was at 5 in the afternoon and the streets were getting dark and several people from the neighborhood flocked to these stalls to either buy their dinner or have a beer with friends at the side of the street. I stopped to buy a beer and trade a smile with one of them and they attempted to speak in English. It's funny how the most uncommon places will make your travels the most memorable